The duration of MBBS programme is ten semesters (5 years). A student should complete this programme within ten years from the date of registration. The medium of instruction is English. The learning methods used in this programme include formal lectures, demonstration, clinical attachments, tutorials, Small Group Discussions (SGDs), Problem Based Learning (PBLs), Inter-Professional Educational Activities, student seminars, assignments, debates, family attachments, field based projects and research.
Graduate Profile for MBBS
At the end of MBBS programme the graduate will
- Diagnose and manage health and disease relating the normal and deranged structure and function of the human body.
- Recognize and manage emergency health situations and take preventive measures.
- Recognize disease outbreaks and epidemics at local, national and global level and take appropriate actions.
- Carryout basic medico legal procedures including post-mortem examination.
- Apply principles of behavioural sciences, ethics and professionalism in health and promote peace.
- Use statistical methods and demographic data in practice of health care.
- Function as an effective member or leader of a health team recognizing their different roles.
- Carry out research studies in patient care / public health and disseminate the findings.
- Demonstrate self-learning in education and practice.
- Counsel and educate patients and their families with empathy.
- Implement health promotion and educational activities to prevent illness and disability at individual and community level.
- Use information technology in learning and practice of health care
- Communicate effectively in English, Sinhala and Tamil with patients, families and health- care team
The categories of Learning Outcomes will ensure the MBBS graduate’s competence in:
- Scientific knowledge in medical practice
- Clinical and procedural skills
- Patient management
- Medico-legal work
- Health promotion and disease prevention
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Teamwork and leadership
- Problem solving and research
- Planning and management
- Ethics and professionalism
- Lifelong learning and continuing professional development